Spring is in the air....I think?

>> Wednesday, March 10, 2010

If you live in the Midwest we have been having a glimpse of Spring lately. The weather has been upper 50's and today may reach 60 degrees. The snow is melted except for those pesky dirty piles that seem to take forever to disappear. The ground is wet, ugly and just a plain hot mess. Soon you will be getting ready to hit the yard again.

The winter was a long, cold one and I know you were all looking at seed catalogs, thinking about picking fresh strawberries from you garden and much more. Now is the time to start to prepare yourselves, you ideas and your plan for this year.

My friend, Denise got me a great book called, "Preserving the Harvest" and it is all about recipes for canning, freezing, drying and pickling garden treasures. I will start to post some from that as time gets closer. The object of this book is to do small batches of stuff as they ripen instead of having an overload because you waited.

I will continue with my lasagna garden series as I begin to prepare my gardens again and make new spaces for other produce I want to grow.

So you ask, "What can I do now?" Well to start you can rake up your yard and use the mulched leaves in your garden area. Pull up the old garden crap you never got to before the winter came and begin to take stock of where you plan on putting your garden this year. If you don't have the space, time or want to have a bigger garden consider using pots for a few small plants OR plant a few small plants in with your flowers.

Let me know what your plans are for this year. I wanna hear all about it and it will help me answer questions as well. Happy almost spring!

2 comments:

Denise March 10, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

I am so ready! I am itchin to get out and get dirty!!

Lisa March 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

I am ready to do some "Lasagne Gardening" with you this year!

Lisa @ Cents To Save

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008