What a day, What a day

>> Sunday, July 12, 2009

I had my cousins wedding to attend yesterday in Kalamazoo, MI. About an hour and 1/2 from my house. I was to attend with my brother (my hubs, daughter had other things they had to do). Long story short I missed the actual wedding but my brother and I pulled in as everyone was leaving so we proceeded over to the downtown Radisson for the reception. As we pulled into the parking garage we saw this cute baby raccoon. Who knew it was a precursor to disaster later that night?

This was about 4pm so we all went to the hotel bar to drink and wait for the reception. We were also waiting for my sister to arrive from Detroit. About 6pm I get a call from my sister who had just parked in the garage and I was to give her directions to the reception. However, there was a problem...my niece had just been attacked and bitten on the ankle by a baby raccoon. Let the mayhem begin.

My mom and step dad were very upset. My sister was besides herself....my niece was fine just freaked out. We were not sure what to do. There happened to be two veterinarians at the wedding and they said we had to take her to the emergency room although everyone thought it didn't look that bad and we were making something out of nothing. The hospital was right down the road. I made my mom and step dad stay at the wedding and my sister and I took my niece.

She was a trooper, she never complained (she is 15) she was great and the hospital was great too. Apparently it was good we brought her because the doctor said we have to automatically start rabies shots with a raccoon bite of any kind. Luckily the police were able to catch the little sucker and he is off to be tested for rabies. In the mean time my niece had to have 5 shots. Two on her ankle where the bite was, one on her arm and one shot in each of her butt cheeks.

We missed most of the wedding reception but we went back and she was a trooper. She wasn't in pain but a bit bruised by the shots. They had held out food for us and we didn't eat much it was just a mess. My sister has to contact her doctor Monday morning and hopefully the rabies results will be back by then and be negative so she doesn't have to continue with the shot series.

What a mess. The entire day was a mess from start to finish. I got home sometime after 1am and listened to my daughter and her friend Mike tell me about grandpa. Mike was watching him for Ron and I since we were not home. He wouldn't eat, drink or take his medicine. He was belligerent with them and argumentative. This morning i just told him he can't be that way because sometimes Ron and I can't be here and we have no one else to watch him. He has to be nice and do what is asked of him. I didn't add if you don't you are going to a home but it does boil down to the fact that if we cant get away for even a day without him being mean and rude to the ones who are watching him then we have to consider other options. It has been a long week with grandpa. He has had several 'accidents' and as a collective whole we are just tired, irritated and it is hard to take some times. I know some of it is not his fault. Some is the dementia and some is just his plain old personality that has kept people away from him for years.

So I feel depleted, tired and just stressed out. Thanks for reading my venting.


Denise July 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

awww you poor thing. No wonder you didn't want to go to the beach! LOL...Well it is a great story that you all will probably laugh at in a year or two. Hope things gt better this week.

Queenbuv3 July 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

What a day indeed : ( Hope you get a break and things look up soon!

Anonymous July 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM  

Paula, sorry to hear about your disasterous weekend! Maybe this week will be a little better with grandpa!

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008