Saving money on cleaning products

>> Thursday, March 5, 2009

Lately the news on the economy has been getting worse and in my area (Elkhart, IN) things are the worst in the nation for job lay offs. The news has been doing a lot of specials on what we can do to save money and get back to basics. One thing that has come up over and over is using natural cleaning products. I do this at my house and it is so much cheaper, better for you and I hate to say it but the smell of vinegar has become the new clean in my home for a year now. You can do a simple search online for homemade cleaning products and you will get tons of recipes. Here are a few things you can do at home that I have tried and like.

All Purpose and Glass Cleaner:

Mix a spray bottle with half water and half White vinegar, gently shake to mix. That is it folks. This cleans better then any cleaner I have ever used. Use it in the kitchen, on the windows and mirrors, you can use it in the bathroom. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant so it kills germs and doesn't hurt anything. *Special note on windows if you have been using store bought sprays they contain detergent and it may take a few times before all that detergent comes off, that is what causes streaks. You can use straight vinegar as well. Try using a microfiber cloth or a squeezer instead paper towels that leave lint.

Natural scrubber:

Baking soda can be made into a soft paste with water and put over stains in the kitchen or bathroom and scrubbed with a nylon scrubber.

Another great scrubber is salt. Good ole salt is a wonderful cleaner for bathtubs, sinks, ovens. Use a nylon scrubber so you don't scratch your surface.

These are just a few ways to save money and help your family stay safe. I will post on how to make your own dis infective wipes and some other things in the next few days.

Leaving excess on my side bar has an article on making your own shampoo, and I added the site she recommended on my blog list, naturemom. I have used organic soap and castile soap before and I like both. I have to admit I get lazy and just buy soap at the store because it is cheap and easy.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008