Did you know?

>> Saturday, January 3, 2009

There are a lot food storage blogs out there (a few on my side bar) and I think food storage is important for several reasons.

  • stockpiling
  • saves money
  • saves trips to the store (environmentally helpful)
  • Emergency preparedness

These are just a few reasons. Sometimes I think maybe they go a little crazy storing enough food for a year, having emergency supplies and so on, and then I think ...what if something were to happen would I be prepared at all other then food supplies for a few months?

So I think I need to be a little more prepared then I have been and I think I will highlight some areas in which I will help my family get an emergency kit together. Here in Indiana, we do get unfortunately a lot of tornadoes, storms, ice storms, blizzards and being prepared would be helpful in these cases.

What got me to write this today was this blog spot on how to make an oven out of a box. I am not kidding. Check it out. I have a fireplace so I don't worry about things like that as much but this is just interesting. I think in my case I am going to get a big tote that can be stored and stock it with emergency items. One thing may be a folder or binder with emergency information, how to do things, other information (how to build an oven). But it is something I am going to do over the year not stress over.

What are you thoughts on this? What do you think about the box oven? Pretty cool.

1 comments:

Unknown January 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

Great post! Another great resource is www.shelfreliance.com They had a mention on a local Utah radio station http://www.ksl.com/?nid=545&sid=5065869 Their Thrive line of foods is a great way to build up a long term food storage, but also is easily used in regular meal planning. If you use the code save 15 you can save 15% at checkout!

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008