Baked Chicken Fajitas

>> Friday, January 2, 2009

This recipe comes to us from leaving excess (sidebar). Thanks for sharing this recipe, I will definitely try this next week, it is great for my diet kick off.

Baked Chicken Fajitas-

1 pound boneless, skinless strips of chicken (uncooked) - I just use a scissors to cut breasts into strips-
1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)-
1 medium onion, cut into strips (I freeze mine this way)-
1 medium green pepper, cut into strips (again, I freeze mine cut up like this)-
1 medium red pepper, cut into strips (see note on green peppers)-
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil- 2 tsp. chili powder- 2 tsp. cumin- 1/4 tsp. salt-
tortillas

Toss all the ingredients (except the tortillas) in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Bake at 400 until chicken is done, about 25 minutes.Now, the great thing about this recipe is its versatility. I have all these ingredients on hand and frozen ahead of time, so the night before, I just toss in frozen chicken strips, onions and peppers (any color is fine), open a can of tomatoes, toss in the spices and put it in the refrigerator. By the next day, everything is thawed and I can either put it into the oven when I get home and make rice as it cooks, or set our rice cooker to have rice prepared and have my oldest or my husband put the dish in the oven if they get home before me.If I will be home that afternoon, I just toss everything in while frozen and let it cook longer, more like 45 minutes.

You can easily use pork or beef instead of chicken, or a mixture. You can opt for tomatoes with chilies or add in a can of chilies if you are so inclined. Black beans would be a great addition, as well. You could also serve this with refried beans.You can put all the ingredients in a freezer bag, wrap it in another freezer bag and have it at the ready that way.If we have the time and ingredients on hand, we like to serve this dish with some shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.The leftovers are fabulous warmed up and served over a bed of lettuce with black beans and crushed tortilla chips!Enjoy!

0 comments:

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008