Needs of the homeless and struggling

>> Friday, October 17, 2008

I have mentioned several times about donating to the homeless on past blog posts. I have a box where I collect things I plan on giving to our local center. Cherry Picker is planning on posting items on sale for less than a dollar or free (nearly) that can be used to help those in need. She will post several times during the week. So check her out and see how you can help those in your community.

I have donated for several years and have volunteered at our local shelter with my church members. We also make baskets (gift bags) as well. There are tons of things you could donate. Food items including non-perishables items, boxed products and bagged food is always needed. Here are some of the things we often get as wish items for the homeless as well.

Shampoo
razors
soap
lotions
deodorant
lip balm
pocket Kleenex
toothbrushes/paste
pens
pocket notebooks

Other things include new underwear, socks, mittens/gloves and scarves. I also donate all my old magazines from the past few months. These are just a few. Please comment and list things that you give away or think would make good items for those in need. If you are not sure who to contact you can call local shelters and churches they should be able to direct you.

This does not have to be hard. It can be as simple as you pulling up to a church/shelter/food bank and dropping off your items. That's it folks.

If you have coats that are in good shape as well as some clothing you could call your local schools (inner city) and they take them. So many children come to school without appropriate clothes and have no jacket. Just don't donate to the same school that you children go to because that could be embarrassing to a child wearing donated clothing. I worked at a school for years and this was always a problem. Kids showing up with no coats, gloves and where shorts or sandals in the winter.

1 comments:

Rachel October 22, 2008 at 1:19 AM  

This is a good reminder. I have so much more now that I use coupons. I'm glad I can donate more to the food shelf at my church.

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008