Christmas Corner

>> Thursday, October 23, 2008










Christmas count down. If you look at the Christmas count down calendar you might be thinking hhmm that time already? If you have been to the stores lately you notice Halloween and Christmas next to each other.
What kind of Christmas have you had in the past? What kind of Christmas would you like to have this year? Do you need all the bells and whistles? Is it about the presents? Do you go to church? Is it all the above?
I called my mom today to ask whose name I got in the family drawing this year and once again I heard, "its going to be slim pickings this year." I hear this every year and every year she goes and spends way to much. I tell her every time, cut down, cut back, cut out, and hopefully she will listen this year.
The economy is hitting everyone hard. I have posted some ideas people can use on my side bar (christmas corner) but I wondered what are each of you doing to cut back this year? Are you even cutting back?
I have to once again tell you that I am depressed (and take meds to help) and mostly the holidays have been hard for me to handle with the decorating and so on. This year I would like to focus more on getting my home in the spirit.
Perhaps making a few more Christmas goodies with the family & friends. Make a special Christmas eve dinner and let our family be the gift of love instead of presents. I know this is easier said then done..but why not give it a try, right?
What if your kids made presents for their siblings, grandparents and parents, wouldn't it mean more? It might take a little planning, a lot of patience and maybe a little spiked eggnog but it's doable.
I would also like to make sure I attend church services through out the season. I am catholic and we make a big deal leading up to Christmas. (I have been slipping of late).
So come on tell me what you do, what is your traditions, how are you cutting back? Your comment could really help someone with saving money or implementing new ideas into their family.






2 comments:

McKrola Family October 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM  

we are cutting back. I made the boys homemade transformer pillowcases. Making then transformer fleece blankets, the tie around the edge kind. Making them flannel pj bottoms, the shirts I will buy walmart longsleeve plain colored cotton shirts 2 for 9 bucks. They are also getting a small collection of transformers to share. Thats about it.

Hazel the one year old... a toy, and clothes she needs. And a big bow to play with. :-)

Travel is not happening.
Big feasts are not happening.
We may make some sugar coated peanuts for neighbors and deliver as a family and sing jingle bells.

michelle

Unknown October 22, 2009 at 6:59 AM  

We never really go all crazy. I think the way I'm trying to keep it stress free is to have all of our present shopping done before Thanksgiving (I'm about 85% of the way there). I've also been stocking up on a lot of food - so when the holidays come, all I have to really buy is the meat and fresh veggies needed.

I think we're going to try to get in the spirit by doing tradional and no-cost decorating - making paper chains with construction paper, etc.

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008