Planting the Early Spring Garden......potatoes and more

>> Thursday, April 22, 2010

The sun is shining....most of the time. The weather is perfect to put in some early spring veggies. So what are you planting this year?

My father in law has a huge farm area and this year I decided to use his already plowed up area (thanks honey for that tractor ride) and plant things I plan to freeze, can or store this year. My lasagna garden at home will have some plants that I want to get to immediately like my cherry tomatoes, zucchini and sugar snap peas.

This year I decided to try my hand at planting potatoes. I have never done it before and decided to give a few rows a try. Here is a site to consider when planting potatoes. I am a newbie so I wanted to make sure I am doing it right. Wish you could plant potatoes but don't have the space? Well check that site out because I bet you do if you use a little imagination.

I am also planting radishes and carrots. I tip I got was to mix the radish and carrot seeds together as they grow you can tell them apart and they are easy to thin. The radishes are ready first and when you pull the radishes there is plenty of room left for the carrots to mature.

I am planting spinach as well as lettuce. I buy several packages of frozen spinach each year and I figured why not freeze my own?

And finally I will be planting some sugar snap peas as well. As for the rest of the garden I will up date you on that as I go. If you have any questions or comments be sure to leave them and you can see the entire lasagna garden series here. (scroll down to see the first article)

0 comments:

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008