Just a little more should do it......

>> Sunday, January 24, 2010

The other day I blogged about being afraid to use up my frozen/canned reserves. I got some comments (thanks you all) from other feeling the same way I felt....like a loony wanting to hold onto our hard labored efforts. In this age you can go to the store and get what you need anyway so I suppose we sort of got programed into thinking this way. Years ago they had no choice but to eat their put up food storage.

Today I was at at my favorite place to get meat and veggies when I saw they were marking the produce they had in cold storage way down. I was able to get pie pumpkins for 10 cents a pound. I picked up 3 more pumpkins to puree. I also got a half bushel of apples and will be making some more apple pie filling as well.

I plan on making an apple pie and an apple cake as well to freeze for after dinners later next month. I buy the aluminium tins at the dollar general for a buck (for 3) and usually when making a cake recipe will split it into to of the tins so I can pull one out for a quick dessert and smaller portions.

So the next time you have a chance to go to the local markets or farm markets you might get some good deals to put up for the remainder of the winter months.

3 comments:

Katidids January 24, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

Sounds lke a great score! I lurk around the vegie section quite a bit, I've picked up carrots (I can) celery (i chop & freeze) all kindsof goodies. Banana's starting to turn are thebest for banana bread. I stick them wholein the freezer. Bst "seale" storrage!

Katidids January 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

Sorry for the sticky keys!

Paula January 24, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

I know that about bananas but every time I do that I never get back to them. LOL...they had a bunch (lol bunch) of red dot bananas for quick sale and passed them by...:(

Did you know you can freeze eggs after you shell them? Just found that out. Learn something new everyday.

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008