Update on Job loss

>> Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I live in the worst area for job loss, no doubt about it, Elkhart County, Indiana has the highest county for unemployment in the nation. Losing my job doesn't surprise me, just another disappointment that I need to pull myself together and get over. Today, I got some lab work done and the lady there told me about her sister losing her job. While my husband and I ran to the Aldi's store the cashier told me about her husband being unemployed and the state of Indian/Illinois fighting over who should pay him since he worked in IL. Big, deep sigh.

If you come here you hear these stories, everyone has one, but it doesn't make it any easier when you are trying to figure out life strategies for staying above the water line.

My job has offered me a part time six week job in Fort Wayne, In. This is our base and two hours away from me one way. I worked from home and in my district area so I didn't have to drive that except for special meetings. The pay would be half, it is only for six weeks, my insurance will be gone, and I am looking at a four hour round trip drive several times a week. I took it. It gives me some time to get a plan of action together. I will get some mileage so I should not have to eat all the miles, the driving time...well lets just say God and I get to have a lot of alone time.

I have 4 classes to finish in order to get my bachelor degree. I took a break this past semester because the new job was very hectic, I was working 50 hours or more a week and didn't think I could handle both. Wish I had the sight to see that in February we would have little work and the loom of lay offs. Now I need to figure out how I am going to get my four classes in this summer and pay for them (student loans are not an option). I have to have that degree in order to go for the jobs in my field. I just got lucky that my company took me working on my last few classes. There is a possibility that a few jobs might be available to me if I can get these classes in but there are no guarantees.

If you have read my blog for any amount of time you know I had a rant a few days ago and right now this really fits in with that because I feel like I am always confronted with the hardest parts of life and I never get the easy way. I know, I know that the easy way is not the learning way, it is not the right way and more but it sure would be nice for a change.

To finish up I will pull myself together, cry a bit, and move on. I need to be in Fort Wayne tomorrow morning and that should have me leaving at first light. I will figure out a new budget when I have a chance in the next few days, and I will buckle down with coupons as I have done before to get the very best I can for my family at the most reasonable prices that I can get. I am a survivor, my neighbors and family are survivors and we will all persevere through these hard times, I just wish we didn't have to.

3 comments:

southerngirlpls May 5, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

You are in my prayers and thoughts! Things will work the way the are supposed to. I have never been given the "easy" path either. Hope all goes well!

Marilyn's Money May 5, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Awww Paula, my heart goes out to you. That sure is a LONG drive, but think of me in the morning I leave at 5:50 am , maybe it'll give you a little chuckle?

Michelle @ Leaving Excess May 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

Paula, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. I understand how you feel and I can only hope that things turn around soon!

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008