What is BPA Free bottles

>> Monday, January 26, 2009

Leaving Excess has a blog today on getting BPA free bottles, which made me think of my friend Denise who asked me what was BPA just last friday. (deja vu). So here you go Denise, I told you it was a chemical but here is the whole answer.

First of all, what in the world is BPA?

BPA is short for Bisphenol-a, a chemical that is actually an artificial estrogen. It is used to create the plastic called polycarbonate. Most major U.S. baby bottle manufacturers use BPA in their production, as well as many food storage containers and toys.

Researchers have shown that even low levels of estrogen-mimicking BPA are harmful to animals and people, especially babies and young children. Many environmental scientists believe that Bisphenol-a may cause adverse health effects, such as cancer, diabetes, obesity and early puberty.

You can find BPA free bottles at regular stores but they are not always easy to find. You can go online and put in a BPA free bottle search and get more sites then you can look at or just go to amazon or ebay. I found some at our local health food store and they were no more money then anywhere else.

By using BPA free bottles you are keeping your family safe and saving the environment from more bottles leaking chemicals into the landfills.

2 comments:

Denise January 28, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

Thanks for the info....Very weird that came up when we were just talking about it!! LOL

Simplelivin' January 28, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

I used to have my Nalgen bottle attached to my hip before all the reports came out. My new fave is from Klean Kanteen because it's made with stainless steal, not aluminum coated with some other chemical compound.

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008