Went to the doctor again..

>> Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I went to the doctor again today. My blood pressure was down, not as it should be but down. Here is the deal I have been on a continuous dose of contraceptive (birth control pills) in order to stop my period due to monthly problems. I have been on this for at least 7 years and it was working just fine until my blood pressure went too high. Contraceptives push your blood pressure up and strokes are a real possibility. So off the pill, I go...which leaves me where? Having a hysterectomy? That was my fear. I just had major surgery last January and didn't want another so soon.

I spoke with my doctor and I have two options. One is the shot which causes weight gain...not real good considering my weight issues. The other is the newer marina. I may get lots and lots of spotting but once this evens out it can stay in 5 years with no side effects and then they take that one out, and I can do it two more times. So my doctor said I can miss menopause all together. Checking on insurance for payment and then that looks like I will go with route two.

Anyone have this device or know anyone who has had it? I would love to hear if anyone knows anything about this.

5 comments:

Denise January 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

I don't know of anyone who has that but I have read some good things about it. I think that would be a good thing to do...it puts surgery off a while longer and lets your body heal from the last surgery more. also this is a real motivator on getting yourself healthier for the possibility of surgery in the future.

Marcie January 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

My daughter had the mirana for 4+ years. She ended up with endometrosis and just had surgery to laser it all away, had some nerves lasered to stop the incredible pain from the endo. Thirty days later, she is hating life. First cycle was HORRIBLE in every way including pain so bad she had to get narcotics to cut it. Doc said get preggers ASAP and then hysterectomy. He said endo is forever or as long as you have a uterus. Daughter says, "cut it out and cut it out the minute I have my 1st baby...I am NOT living in this kind of pain a second longer than necessary." She's 25. Doc says endo greatly reduces her chances to get pregnant. She wants children so bad.

I've had a partial hysterectomy. It gave me my life back. That's my vote. We shouldn't have to live in such pain, be so miserable, have so many problems in this day and time. Having one done while you are healthy if far more preferable than to waiting until your health declines for any reason.

As I tell my daughter, I have not ever for one second been sorry I didn't have to suffer, haul tons of pads, spare clothes, pain killers, be cranky, crabby and lose 50% of my life monthly. Life is short. I've had no regrets. I know it is drastic to take the surgical route but living in misery is drastic too. JMHO...sorry you are having probs. I hope you get relief fast for all the problems and decisions.

Anonymous January 21, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

Paula, by the shot do you mean Depoprovera? I was on this shot for 13 yrs for birth control. You get it every 3 months, the first 3 months I spotted the whole time and I didn't want to take it again, however no spotting after the second dose. I had really good luck with it for 13 years , then I statred to spot again and am off of it. I am 48 yrs old, my gyn doctor tols me for every year past 45 your chances for pregnancy decrease by 1%. And there is only 5% chance of pregnancy at 45, so I figure right now I have a 2% chabce at getting pregnant.

Beeb January 21, 2009 at 11:49 PM  

Paula, I'm sorry you have to go through all that. I have no advice to offer you, just good wishes for an effective solution. From what I understand, Depo Provera can cause bone loss, so my vote was for the other method until I read Ginger's horror story....OMG!! I've seen ads for Nuvaring, but I don't know anything about its blood pressure risk. Best of luck to you!!

Paula January 22, 2009 at 7:46 AM  

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I can limp by with the option I picked for awhile. We already talked about if it doesn't work then the surgery will probably be next but I want to lose weight before that. I went thru surgery at 300 pounds last year and it was awful. No plans for more babies so just inching by...the insurance companies require you try these things before they pay for surgery.

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008