Thanksgiving is around the corner...what are you cooking/bringing?

>> Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The following is a family staple at all our holiday gatherings. This is so simple, fairly cheap and EASY. It has a fancy name too...Shell Salad.

Shell Salad Recipe

I box macaroni shells (med size)
1 big or several small cucumbers (peel and cut into bite size pieces)
1 package cherry tomatoes or several large tomatoes (cut into pieces)
Miracle Whip

Boil shells and drain well. Put shells, cucumbers, tomatoes in large bowl and mix. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Begin to add miracle whip until the shells are well coated. (you really can't go wrong on the amount of salad dressing, start with less and add as you go) Once the salad is mixed refrigerate overnight or at least until chilled. The longer it sits the better it tastes. The next morning mix it up again, you can add a bit more dressing if needed, I never do though and a bit more salt or pepper. I will say that I don't put a lot of salt because people don't like it. I add salt after it is on my plate. We love this salad. It is so simple but tastes so good.

I am a Hellman's/Kraft real mayo person but...I can honestly say that this salad tastes better with the miracle whip and not the real mayo. I think it is because the sweeter miracle whip works well with the acid toms/cucs.

Let me know if you try it and like it. Make plenty because left overs are so much better the longer it sits.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008