Using your Put up foods

>> Monday, January 18, 2010

Today my friend, Denise and I had a conversation about our put up food items. We both canned, froze, pickled and more this past summer. We were so proud of ourselves for gardening, working hard to get the items put away for winter days....The problem? We are in the middle of winter and we aren't using our put up food storage items. What we discovered after talking to each other was that we were both afraid if we used our put up food we would run out of our supplies. This really got us to chuckling.

Last night I was thinking that I was going to run out of blueberries, apple pie filling and pumpkin. But that doesn't mean I should stop using what I put up. In order for us to get better accurate ideas of what we need to put up for next year we need to use what we have put up for this year. What a strange pair we are.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Maybe it is because we are a little newer at this storage game or maybe it is because we are neurotic messes but whatever the reason we realized what we were doing and have agreed to get to using our food supplies. Better to use them now when they are freshest and buy some stock supplies later as needed.

Tonight I made homemade stove top lasagna with my canned/frozen spaghetti sauces. I also made an apple pie that I will be cutting into very soon. I got out some of my apple sauce for lunch tomorrow and some blue berries to make muffins tomorrow as well.

We are both super excited to get our gardens going for this year as well. (yes we know we have a wait but that doesn't stop the excitement). I am reading a canning book that Denise got me and will do a series on that this year as well. Let me know what you all put up food wise this year and how it is going for you.

4 comments:

cshellz January 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

That's too funny. This was my first year canning and I realized last month that I was still buying canned green beans when I had 2 shelves full from the garden. I finally made an apple pie from 1 of 12 jars that I had canned etc. How will I know what I use in a year if I don't use it? :D All that hard work to sit on a shelf and go bad?

Beeb January 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

Ha! I totally get what you're saying about not wanting to deplete the reserves. But ultimately, it's important to eat, eat, eat from that pantry so that it doesn't go off. (speaking from experience here) Everything you've canned sounds so good!

My planter boxes were looking beautiful until a frost came through...so we'll have to see if I can salvage anything out of that. I'm excited to start planting more things in the spring!

Yart January 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

I did the same thing the first year I canned. I was so proud of my accomplishment that I wanted to preserve it for forever... LOL! But then the second year came along and I needed jars to be able to do it again. So it was a mad dash to eat up the supplies so I could can again. I still don't know what I need from year to year but the learning experience is a lot of fun!

Paula January 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

Oh I am so glad it is not just me! LOL

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008