Lasagna Gardening Series Part One

>> Monday, April 20, 2009





Lasagna sounds good doesn't it? Now think of making fresh, natural lasagna from the veggies you grew in your no weeds, no tilling, no mess garden! Sounds even better. I bought the book "Lasagna Gardening" this past week and I couldn't put it down. This book is perfect for me because the less work the better. I recommend getting the book because it has diagrams, layouts, and pictures that explain and help you picture the gardening process. I did find a sight that basically has the short version of her book on the site so go here to read it.

Lasagna gardening is just what it sounds like, a garden of layers. The layers consist of inches of different materials. The bottom has wet cardboard or newspapers, and then the layers start with compost, peat moss, mulch, grass clippings, manure, and various other materials. The great thing is that you use the things that available to you to make your layers. Your local garden shop can help you if you don't have peat moss, mulch or other items.

I have a big yard but for various reasons I can't dig in my yard so this is perfect for me. There is no digging. The first step is to pick a site that will support the garden you want. You want to make sure you have the right sun, shade, water drainage and plants to support your garden. You then mark out your plot, she suggests you make your plot no bigger then 8x4 so you can easily reach everything in your garden. You can make multiple garden plots to fit the garden plants you want.

The first thing I want you to do is think about where you want your garden to be. Don't have more then a small area, that is fine too we can work with any area and we can work with container gardening as well. What ever your space, I want you to think about where you would put your garden/containers, what you would like to grow and don't let anything stop you. You can grow pumpkins in a container, she will show you how. Get this idea going and tomorrow I will post on how to start the garden process going.

1 comments:

Queenbuv3 June 15, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

Oh my lord, Where was this when I was digging and sifting a bazillion rocks out of the dirt I had designated as my veggie garden!!?? I will be using this technique next year. Thanks for the info!

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008