Lasagna Gardening: Part four Planting for Success

>> Friday, April 24, 2009


If you would like to see parts of her book go here. If you would like to read the entire series please see the left side bar for Lasagna Gardening Series.

I have had a lot of fun making my garden spot. I have some pictures, however my daughter used her camera and she lost the cord so pictures will be forth coming.

I did spend a bit more on manure and peat moss as well as some other decorative items however I have not done much gardening in the past few years and I want to get some things caught up around here and looking nice.

I will not be planting my seedlings until mid May so I have a bit of to decide which flowers I would like to border or fill in around my veggie plants. The author, Patricia Lanza suggest planting certain herbs and flowers with veggies for optimal planting she calls this companion planning. By placing certain plants together it can help keep pests away or push them towards a certain plant where they can be taken care of easily.

Garlic, Parsley next to roses protect from black spot a fungal disease.

Chives and garlic next to peas and lettuce to protect from aphids

Radishes near cucumbers to avoid cucumber beetles

Rosemary, sage, thyme or tansy near cabbage to deter moths, cabbage worms, cut worms

Nasturtiums near broccoli to lure aphids away from broccoli

*Her favorite lure trap is a wild grapevine planted on a fence or arbor by garden to attract the Japanese beetles.

The next series part will talk about container planting. If you have a question or something you would like me to write on please leave me a comment so I can look it up in the book.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008